I was born and raised in Superior, Wisconsin. I graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Superior in 1978 and the University of Illinois College of Law in 1981. I have been licensed to practice law in Minnesota since 1982, in the United States District Courts of Minnesota since 1996 and in Wisconsin since 1993.
After graduating from law school I worked for several years as a claims adjuster at American Family Insurance, handling auto, homeowners and workers compensation claims. This job gave me a unique perspective of the claims process and valuable experience for going into private practice. I have been in private practice since 1985 and have been a solo practitioner since 1995.
I have handled many types of cases over the years but since 1987 have focused primarily on representing injured people in Workers Compensation cases. I have found these clients have considerable trouble recovering from their injuries in large part because of the tremendous barriers put in their way by the insurance companies and the court system. I have represented thousands of clients at all levels of the Minnesota and Wisconsin Workers Compensation systems.
I am proud to be an active member of the Minnesota Association for Justice's Workers Compensation Committee and am currently one of its chairpersons. I am also a member of the Ramsey County Bar Association Fee Arbitration Committee and the Minnesota State Bar Association Insurance for Members Committee.
Since 2000 I have expanded my practice to include Federal Workers Compensation cases.
In my spare time I enjoy fishing, golfing, cross-country skiing and hiking with my family. I also like to coach youth basketball. I am a lifelong Packer fan and am also a big fan of the Timberwolves, Wild and St. Paul Saints.
Areas Of Practice
- Workers' Compensation Law
- State & Municipal Employees
- Workers' Compensation Appeals
- Minnesota, 1981
- Wisconsin, 1993
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota, 1986
- University of Illinois College of Law, Urbana, Illinois
- Doctor of Jurisprudence - 00/1981
- University of Wisconsin, Superior, Wisconsin
- Bachelor of Science - 1978
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Major: History
- Hopp v. Grist Mill, 499 NW2d 812, 1993, Mn.S.Ct., 1993105041
- Hunter v. Crawford Door Sales, 501 NW2d 623, 1993, Mn.S.Ct., 1993125084
- Munstermann vs. Appleton Community Hospital, 1999 WL 140062, 1999, MN WCCA
- Oldenburg vs. Phillips & Temro Inc., 606 NW2d 445, 2000, Mn.S.Ct.
- Correa vs. Waymouth Farms, 664 NW2d 324, 2005, Mn.S.Ct.
- Anatomy of a Workers Compensation Claim, Minnesota Institute for Legal Education, 1989 to 1989
- Medical Treatment in Workers Compensation Cases, Minnesota Continuing Legal Education, 2000 to 2000
- An Overview of Federal Workers Compensation Law, Minnesota Association for Justice, 2004 to 2004
- Who is Spying on Your Clients & How Do Find Out What They Know?, Minnesota Association for Justice, 2007 to 2007
- The Prohibited Act Defense, Minnesota Association for Justice, 2008 to 2008
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Association for Justice, Member, 1988
- Minnesota Trial Lawyers Association, Member, 1986
- Minnesota Association for Justice, Member, 1986
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Member, 1986
- Wisconsin State Bar Association, Member, 1993